Pneumococcal pneumonia is an infectious, 2 potentially serious bacterial 2 lung disease 3 you can catch anytime, anywhere. 4 In severe cases, it can put you in the hospital 2 and even be life-threatening. 3
Pneumococcal pneumonia can be passed from person to person. 5 You can catch it from a cough or close contact. 5
Many people think it is a common cold, 6 but it is not.
Unlike the common cold, which are caused by viruses, 6 pneumococcal pneumonia is caused by bacteria. 6 Symptoms can be severe 3 and hit you without warning. 4 In fact, it can take weeks for symptoms to resolve. 1^ The cough and fatigue may last for weeks and longer. 1^
65 or older risk of pneumococcal pneumonia
#YouAreOurBestShot - Take charge and protect your loved ones
^Streptococcus pneumoniae is one of the most common pathogens found in community acquired pneumonia (CAP) 7
1. Wyrwich. WK, et al. Observational longitudinal study of symptom burden and time for recovery from community-acquired pneumonia reported by older adults surveyed nationwide using the CAP Burden of Illness Questionnaire. Patient Related Outcome Measures 2015:6 215–223.
2.CDC Pink Book 13th ed 2015 (Ch17) https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/pneumo.html (accessed 6th Aug 2020)
3. CDC Pneumococcal symptoms and complications https://www.cdc.gov/pneumococcal/about/symptoms-complications.html (Accessed 27th Aug 2020)
4. American Lung association. https://www.lung.org/blog/you-can-still-get-pneumonia-in-summer#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20pneumococcal%20pneumonia%20can,pneumonia%20is%20called%20pneumococcal%20pneumonia (Accessed 6th Aug 2020)
5. CDC How to prevent pneumococcal factsheet, https://www.cdc.gov/pneumococcal/resources/prevent-pneumococcal-factsheet.pdf (accessed 3rd Aug 2020)
6. National heart and lung and blood institute -pneumonia diagnosis. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/pneumonia (Accessed 27th Aug 2020)
7. Jain.S, et al. Community-Acquired Pneumonia Requiring Hospitalization among U.S. Adults N Engl J Med 2015;373:415-27.